Friday, 12 January 2018
Old Travel Blog Photograph Fountain Graham Street Airdrie Scotland
Old travel Blog photograph of the drinking Fountain, shops and people on Graham Street in Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, Scotland. Cast iron drinking fountains erected in Airdrie in 1865 were removed at the beginning of the 20th century, possibly to be melted down for armaments during the World Wars. Airdrie town really came to prominence through its weaving industry. Airdrie Weavers Society was founded in 1781 and flax was being grown in sixteen farms in and around the burgh. In the last decade of the eighteenth century, coal mining was in progress and around thirty colliers were employed. Weaving continued to flourish making up a substantial part of the population of over 2,500 around the turn of the 19th century. Of interest to folks with ancestry, genealogy or Scottish Family Roots in Scotland who may wish to visit one day.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland travel video of Winter snow just five days before Christmas in Glen Etive , near Glencoe , on ancestry visit to the Highland...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of women walking on the sea wall at the harbour in Arbroath, Angus, Scotland . In 1394 the Abbot John Gedy and the monks of ...