Friday, 22 December 2017
Tour Scotland Video Of Old Photographs Of Govan Glasgow
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Govan, Glasgow, Scotland. Located on the south bank of the River Clyde, opposite the mouth of the River Kelvin and the district of Partick. Historically it was part of the County of Lanark. Govan was at one point; the centre of the world renowned Clydeside shipbuilding industry, but few shipyards remain today. In 1841, Robert Napier began iron shipbuilding in Govan, and in 1843 produced its first ship, the Vanguard. He also procured a contract with the Royal Navy to produce vessels, notably the Jackal, the Lizard, and the Bloodhound. He also allowed naval officers in training to visit the shipyard to familiarise themselves with the new vessels. Napier's Shipyard in Govan was later acquired by William Beardmore and Company in 1900, before being sold on to Harland & Wolff in 1912. It finally closed in 1962 and most of the site was redeveloped into housing. Govan's other major shipbuilding firm was founded in the 1860s as: Randolph, Elder and Company, later becoming John Elder and Company. In 1885, the yard moved further west to its present site and was reorganised as the Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering Company Ltd. This company continued until 1965, when it filed for bankruptcy. Of interest to folks with ancestry, genealogy or Scottish Family Roots in Scotland who may wish to visit one day.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland travel video of Winter snow just five days before Christmas in Glen Etive , near Glencoe , on ancestry visit to the Highland...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of women walking on the sea wall at the harbour in Arbroath, Angus, Scotland . In 1394 the Abbot John Gedy and the monks of ...