Tour Scotland Video Penguin Statues St Marys Parish Church Outside The Overgate Centre Dundee



Tour Scotland video of Penguin statues by Angela Hunter on a wall by St Marys Parish Church outside The Overgate Centre on ancestry visit to the city of Dundee, Scotland. Dundee played an important role in the Reformation, and John Knox asserts in his History of the Reformation that " the first face of a public church Reformed " was that of St Mary's in Dundee, by 1556. The church dates back to 1190, when it was founded by David, Earl of Huntingdon, brother of William the Lion, King of Scots. The original buildings have not survived. In 1303 the church was burnt by an invading English army. Following a further invasion in 1547 the church was burnt down again. In the late Middle Ages, Dundee's was the largest parish church in Scotland. In 1841 three of the City Churches were again destroyed by fire. Two were rebuilt, the South Church or St Paul's and the East Church or St Mary's. St Mary's, now known as Dundee Parish Church (St Mary's) was rebuilt being completed in 1844 to the design of William Burn.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

No comments:

Featured post

Tour Scotland Winter Travel Video Waterfalls Glencoe And Glen Etive Highlands

Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...