Old Photograph St. Margaret's Dominican Convent Hawick Scotland
Old photograph of St. Margaret's Dominican Convent in Hawick, Scotland. Tour Scottish Borders. St. Margaret's was the ﬁrst convent of its kind in Scotland, built over three years between 1909 and 1912, for nuns of the Third Order of Saint Dominic. The group of sisters transferred from their original base at Stone, Staffordshire, England, and set up temporarily at 14 Buccleuch Street whilst architect Reginald Francis Joseph Fairlie designed the convent and chapel. A meeting chaired by Reverend Johnman was held in the Town Hall ahead of the building work, with many Teries opposing the plans. However, building went ahead as scheduled and the dedication of the Chapel was reported in the November edition of 'Building News' in 1912. Alterations were made to the house in 1922, including the addition of Saint Catherine's room. The site was converted to a Home For Incurables, run by the Dominican Sisters. This was opened by Archbishop McDonald in 1934, with accommodation for up to forty five patients. The Catholic Herald reported in 1936 that most nuns had also been trained as nurses, and that the Mother Prioress was actively seeking contributions towards the debt involved in building and starting the home. In October 1958, a meeting held in the Town Hall proposed a ground breaking sheltered housing project for the elderly on ground adjoining Saint Margaret's. This was completed by architects Aitken & Turnbull, of Buccleuch Street, in 1966, with a new two storey building of nine houses. The adjoining hall was demolished in 1970. In 1987, the nuns became too elderly themselves to look after the residents and left the town. The home was then taken over by a voluntary committee. Since 1999 it has been run privately and is today known as the Buccleuch Care Centre, which incorporates the former St Margaret's Home and Buccleuch Rest Home.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of children shops, houses and church on Barr Street in Ardrossan located in North Ayrshire , Scotland . Noted natives and pas...