Thursday, 20 April 2017
Old Photograph Station Road West Linton Scotland
Old photograph of Station Road in West Linton, Scotland. This Scottish village was formerly in the county of Peeblesshire, but is now part of the Tweeddale committee area of the Scottish Borders. Linton was raised to a Burgh of Regality in 1631, with the right to hold fairs and markets. The importance of droving and the markets reached their zenith in the early years of the nineteenth century, when upwards of 30,000 sheep would be sold annually, including the famous Linton breed. The markets at Linton were considered the largest in Scotland and were widely referred to as an expression for any gathering of a large size: " big as a Linton Market. " West Linton had two therapeutic wells, the waters of which were sold on market days for either a penny or a half penny, depending on the well. There was a tannery and brewery situated on the Upper Green and a gas works on the Lower Green, all now gone.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland travel video of Winter snow just five days before Christmas in Glen Etive , near Glencoe , on ancestry visit to the Highland...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of women walking on the sea wall at the harbour in Arbroath, Angus, Scotland . In 1394 the Abbot John Gedy and the monks of ...