Tour Scotland Video Drive Single Track Road Isle Of Skye Inner Hebrides



Tour Scotland video of part of a drive on a single track unclassified road on ancestry visit to Isle of Skye, Scotland. A single track road or one lane road is a road that permits two way travel but is not wide enough in most places to allow vehicles to pass one another, although sometimes two compact cars can pass. This kind of road is common in rural areas across the United Kingdom and elsewhere. The term is widely used in Scotland, particularly in the Highlands and Island, to describe such roads. The Isle of Skye lies off the west coast of the Scottish Highlands and is one of the largest Hebridean Islands. Since 1995 it has been connected to the mainland at Kyle of Lochalsh by the Skye Bridge.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Tour Scotland Video April Storm Clouds Castle Edinburgh



Tour Scotland April video of storm clouds over Edinburgh Castle, Edinburgh, Scotland. Edinburgh Castle is a historic fortress which dominates the skyline of the city of Edinburgh, Scotland, from its position on the Castle Rock.As the backdrop to the Edinburgh Military Tattoo during the annual Edinburgh International Festival the castle has become a recognisable symbol of Edinburgh and of Scotland and indeed, it is Edinburgh's most frequently visited visitor attraction.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Old Photograph Boating Pond Cooper Park Elgin Scotland


Old photograph of the boating pond in Cooper Park in Elgin, a former cathedral city and Royal Burgh in Moray, Scotland. The grounds of Grant Lodge, Cooper Park was gifted to the town of Elgin by Colonel George A Cooper for use as a public park. Alterations to the layout of the park were made by architect Marshall Mackenzie in 1902. The opening ceremony took place in August 1903.



Tour Scotland wee video of old photographs of Elgin, a former cathedral city and Royal Burgh in Moray, Scotland. The town originated to the south of the River Lossie on the higher ground above the floodplain. Elgin is first documented in the Cartulary of Moray in 1190 AD. It was created a Royal Burgh in the 12th century by King David I of Scotland. On 19 July 1224, the foundation stone of the new Elgin Cathedral was ceremoniously laid. The cathedral was completed sometime after 1242 but was completely destroyed by fire in 1270. In the 19th century the old medieval town of Elgin was swept away. The first major addition to the town centre was the Assembly Rooms, built in 1821 by the Trinity Lodge of Freemasons, at the corner of High Street and North Street. The Morayshire Railway was officially opened in ceremonies at Elgin and Lossiemouth on 10 August 1852. William Dunbar was born in 1749 in Thunderton House, Elgin. He was the youngest son of Sir Archibald Dunbar and Anne Bayne Dunbar. In 1763 he attended King's College, Aberdeen, and graduated from there in 1767. He emigrated to America arriving in Philadelphia in April 1771. In 1773 he and a Scottish merchant opened a cotton plantation in Florida and in 1792 opened another plantation in Mississippi. Dunbar became surveyor general in the Natchez area in 1798 and making his first meteorological observations in the Mississippi Valley in 1799. President Thomas Jefferson appointed him and fellow Scot Dr George Hunter to explore the Ouachita River region and travel all the way to the source of the Red River. They set out on 16 October 1804, traveling up the Ouachita River and on to the area of Hot Springs, Arkansas. Dunbar became the first man to give a scientific report of the hot springs, and his journal of the exploration was later published in Documents Relating to the Purchase and Exploration of Louisiana. He died in 1887. Of interest to folks with ancestry, genealogy or Scottish Family Roots in Scotland who may wish to visit one day.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Old Photograph Covesea Beach Lossiemouth Scotland


Old photograph of people on Covesea Beach by Lossiemouth, Moray, Scotland



Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lossiemouth, Moray, Scotland. The first harbour for fishing boats at Lossiemouth was started in 1699 by a German engineer, Peter Brauss, at the mouth of the river Lossie near to where the East and West piers stand today.

Alexander Edwards was born on 4 November 1885 in Stotfield, Lossiemouth. He was a Scottish recipient of the Victoria Cross, the highest and most prestigious award for gallantry in the face of the enemy that can be awarded to British and Commonwealth forces. He was the son of a fisherman and became a cooper working in the herring fishery. He served with the 1/6th Morayshire Battalion of the Seaforth Highlanders, 51st Highland Division and joined the battalion at Elgin in July 1914. Edwards demonstrated tremendous bravery and was awarded the Victoria Cross for his actions at the Battle of Pilckem Ridge during the first day of the Battle of Passchendaele. On the 21 March 1918 the Germans began the ferocious Kaiserschlacht spring offensive and on 24 March, Edwards was killed and missing in action at Bapaume Wood, east of Arras, France.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Old Photograph Queens Hall Theatre Dunoon Scotland


Old photograph of Queens Hall Theatre in Dunoon, Cowal Peninsula, Argyll, Scotland. Dunoon's Queens Hall was built in 1958 as the civic centre. It has a prominent setting within the town, on the northern edge of the beautiful Castle Gardens and facing out over the Firth of Clyde.



All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Old Photograph Dunoon Road Sandbank Scotland


Old photograph of a vintage car and houses on Dunoon Road in Sandbank near Dunoon, Scotland. Robertson's Yard at Sandbank, a village on the Holy Loch, was a major wooden boat building company in the late 19th and early 20th century. During World War II, this sea loch was used as a submarine base. From 1961 until 1992, it was used as a US Polaris nuclear submarine base. In 1992, the Holy Loch base was deemed unnecessary following the demise of the Soviet Union and subsequently withdrawn. The name of the loch is believed to date from the 6th Century, when Saint Munn landed there after leaving Ireland.



All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.